Friday, December 11, 2009

delirium

22 miles . . .

last night my son got sick. really sick. so sick my wife gave the advice nurse a call. she thinks that it could be croup, which although it rhymes with poop, there is nothing else all that funny about it. they suggested one of us sleep with him just in case his coughing becomes so bad that we need to take him to the emergency room. since my wife needs to wake up with baby to feed her early in the morning, this job went to me.

it was actually great cuddling with my boy and comforting him all through the night. what wasn't good was sharing a twin size bed with him, having to curl up my legs so that my feet didn't dangle over the end of the bed, and waking up every hour or so to the poor little guy violently coughing.

we all woke up at 8:30. at which point i ate my pre-run meal of almond butter and jelly toast and a half of banana. then i fed the other three kids and got them dressed. wife and baby came out at around 9:30 so i didn't start my run until a little after 10.

this was actually pleasant in the sense that it was a bit warmer and at one point i thought that i had overdressed but i think it ended up getting colder. i ran out of gels and blocks (though i did finally order them), but i went to roth's the night before and picked up a cliff bar. i ate half at 7 miles and the other at 15. but this little bar, coupled with the late start, proved to be not enough fuel for such a long run.

the last couple of miles, i think i was in some sort of weird delirious state. by this time it was close to 1 in the afternoon. at one point as i was pushing up a hill talking to myself to provide motivation a guy walking across the street (four lanes of traffic mind you) looked over at me. i must have been talking so loud, he thought i was talking to him. turning became difficult and it took me a long time to distinguish between cars that were moving and ones that were parked.

when i made it home, motor skills were fuzzy, i felt light headed, flushed in the face, and nothing sounded good to eat, but i knew that i needed to. after a couple of meals and a shower, i felt better.

No comments:

Post a Comment