Saturday, October 31, 2009

it's all easy to me

18.2 miles . . .

another warm morning finds me overdressed again. but not nearly as bad as yesterday. he learns only in increments. strange though . . . the first part of my run was much warmer than the second part even though the second part was uphill. i didn't have to take off my hat, i just had to raise it over my ears. in the bathroom at a park, i noticed that it pushed my ears down making me look like a little running elf. such are the ways of a runner.

lots of people out running today. one older couple a ran by on a bridge going across the willamette river. i started having an imaginary conversation with them over the next mile that spiraled me into this musing.
-you're fast. how fast are you?
-me i'm just as fast as you are.
-what do you mean. you blew right by us.
-in that sense yes. but in another sense we are both running our easy pace. my easy pace is in proportion to my fitness as your easy pace is to yours. relatively speaking we are both putting out the same effort. what isn't fair is that i have to spend less time doing this for my miles.

i remember an author once talking about this. how everyone who really races is putting out the same effort. from the elites to the first timers, we are all pushing ourselves at the same level. it's just that the elites get to do it for less time.

in a way this is encouraging. as i get faster, it will take less and less time to race and do my workouts. but on the other hand, as i have been reflecting on it on other posts, my training, no matter at what level, will always be pushing my fitness, will always be fighting against where i am at right now.

i guess it's all in how you look at it.

No comments:

Post a Comment