Monday, October 19, 2009

a whirlwind of sorts

17.5 miles . . .

so begins my friday. an easy run. lots of people out. nearly got ran over. a walker bore witness to it. i think i really freaked out the driver this time. but not enough for her to turn off her cell phone and pay attention as she drove.

i don't know what happened to our winter weather but things have warmed up significantly. i just can't get the hint and once again overdressed. but not as bad as earlier this week.

friday at about 5:30pm, it became evident that i would have to drive to the coast and back. i guess that's what it means to be the boss. sometimes it drops to you. not that it's any ones fault. but sometimes such is life.

so instead of a relaxing evening with the family, preparing for the craziness of saturday, and my yoga, i am driving through the night, with a double shot of espresso in me listening to the n.p.r. pledge drive. the one ray of light in all of this is the stop at the otis cafe for the most amazing pancakes of life.

4.1 miles . . .

so begins my saturday. what an incredibly therapeutic run. the sky was strikingly beautiful. a deep dark red streaked with swirls of dark blue nearing purple. and warm. everything was quiet too. very few cars on the road but even they seemed hushed.

quiet and calm but with a discernible tension in the air. all this would soon break. a hush before the madness.

at 10:00am i am in a beautiful house when the storm finally comes. large unending drops. thunder shaking us all. i am sharing with a group of worship singers how the LORD is my song. looking through a psalm. talking about how HE is my love song, my song of distress, my song of triumph, the soundtrack of my life. and now the guitar is out. we are lifting up our voice along with pounding rain, praising HIS name.

as i'm driving back, i realize that i was a part of something special. it has shifted my perspective on ministry. ministry is simple. we as pastors seem to over complicate it. all it truly is: believers coming together to worship HIM and fellowship with each other. the beauty and simplicity of an acoustic guitar, no production, no schedules. mmmmmm.

it's 2:50pm and i am driving to the church for worship practice. i'll be here until 8:30pm. this day is long.

0 miles . . .

so begins my sunday. baby gracie wakes up late this morning. it's 6:30am and i need to be at the church by 8:00 for another worship practice. i don't have time to run today. but along with that something very frightening.

i have no desire to run today.

i just don't want to. i don't want to run in the afternoon or the evening. i've lost my passion. is it just for this day? is it just because i am in the midst of this whirlwind of sorts? or am i now in a season where running isn't fun? where it isn't something i look forward to?

11 miles . . .

so begins my monday. no track work out this morning like usual because i have a doctor's appointment at 9:15am. there is no time.

my lack of passion has carried over to this morning. but i have to put in miles today because i skipped out yesterday. i must.

today also marks a new level of intensity. i have graduated up a point in mr. daniels' system. i had my doubts whether is should do this now or wait a week in view of last monday's speed work out. however, everything else is pointing to an advance. the ease of my easy runs and tempo work, plus that explosion in my strides on thursday.

my new easy pace is 6:49.

i start my run not knowing what to expect with either my pace or my motivation. within the first few feet the joy of running came flooding back over me. it was a great run. enjoyable. fun. a sweet runner's high afterwards. i hovered around 6:47 to 6:48 most of the run and it felt nice and easy. i had to turn it up a bit on a few hills but nothing too serious.

so starts a new week.

No comments:

Post a Comment