Wednesday, October 28, 2009

more powerful than a speeding school bus

14 miles . . .

the first frost covering my deck, my lawn, my windshield. a clear dark sky, moon and stars still shinning. a light, thin haze surrounding the dawn. fog hovering below, trees shooting out of it, breakaway parts twisting serpentine throughout the landscape. a pink and blue sunrise, softly making itself known to those who look for it.

i jumped again today on my run. i turned to my right, there was a car perpendicular, headlights on me. i then turn to my left and see movement. my heart skips, i break stride. it was my shadow, i laugh.

i stopped a school bus with my hand. i run no matter what. if i have a green light or right of way, i run. i don't stop. i'm running against traffic, the bus is turning towards me, but is looking the other direction for a break in the traffic. the break coincides with me crossing the intersection. she is pulling out, i am running in front of her. i authoritatively hold my hand out towards her windshield. she slams on the brakes, making apologizing motions. i smile, continue running, victorious. i think she might just start looking both ways before she pulls out again.

the first time in three days that i actually feel strong. i have to hold myself back to stay closer to the easy tempo. things are still a little sore but i feel powerful again. there was a long stretch of flat lands where i really noticed that aerobically i am solid. it's just that soreness in the legs.

No comments:

Post a Comment