Thursday, October 29, 2009

stumbling along

13.56 miles . . .
20 minute warm up
6 X 1000m at 3:24 with 1 minute recovery
6 X strides with full recovery
3 mile cool down

felt very weak and tired on this run. also very unmotivated, in that state of mind where i am questioning this goal of mine. the day was dark, cold, windy, rainy. i allowed the weather to soak into my bones, darkening my mood, clouding my goals, making them vanish before me. appearing unattainable.

even the warm up, i had a difficult time reaching the 6:49 pace. when i finally did hit it, it was hard to keep it. i prepared to hit the track already feeling tired. my one saving grace in all this was the pace, my tempo pace. but even this pace at such a short distance (a mere 1000m) seemed difficult at times. any other work out would have slammed me to the ground.

once again there was a heavy head wind pushing into me for about 150m during every lap. this makes it difficult to keep a consistent pace. i ended up hitting all my times spot on, the average of the six ended up being 3:23:87, which is pretty stinking close to the 3:24 goal.

the strides were fairly easy. would have been easier without the wind. afterwards i ran back to the car to change my shoes and put my long sleeve shirt back on for the cool down. something strange happened as i started this.

is it lack of food? all the miles? the lack of sleep? am i pushing too hard? was my head down too long lacing up my shoes? is my body saying enough?

i breathed in and felt an intense rush of oxygen shoot into my body, like a heightened runners high, concentrated into one inhale. then i became light headed. things began to blur a bit. it seemed like i was running through a dream. strange sensations in legs and fingers. this soon vanished but i noticed as the cool down continued, i was getting weaker and weaker. by the time i finished, i felt strange again. i dropped the key to my car. it seemed to fall from my hand in slow motion.

i took a few more shot blocks before i started driving home. i feel fine now.

No comments:

Post a Comment