Monday, November 30, 2009

and so it begins (again)

sunday, 10.75 miles . . .

today it begins. the new training program with four weeks of base building. welcome my old friends. ice baths. long runs. marathon pace. three gels. something always sore.

and then there is the big one. no sugar. the rule is if sugar (dextrose, high fructose corn syrup, brown sugar, etc.) is in the first three ingredients, then i don't eat it. with the exception of chocolate milk as a recovery drink and syrup with my pancakes at the otis cafe. this rule is held in effect until after the eugene marathon, the first week in may.

the discovery from saturday of massaging out that left inner thigh has truly saved me. i felt strong this morning. my legs free, nimble, relatively pain free. fog was starting to set in but i was about 30 minutes too early. while driving to church, it completely surrounded me. i would have loved to run in that.

i feel like i could have ran more, but time was against me.

i used my ninja hoodie for the first time and lifted it up over my lower jaw. it was amazing. warm, yet breathable, the ears and neck completely covered, with the constant option of either covering the lips and nose or dropping it off the jaw.

also used a watch my wife bought me that has a vibrating alarm so i don't wake up her or the baby for my runs. worked great.

monday, 14.25 miles . . .

a cool, misty, high fog, slight drizzle day. the new watch failed to wake me up this morning. finally opened my eyes on my own an hour late. i probably needed this sleep.

this was a strange phenomenon. the pace felt like a push that was harder than normal. my breathing, my muscles, everything seemed to be staining just a bit more than i like on an easy run. but then at mile 8, something switched. something changed. it was instantly easy and effortless. i was going to only do 13 because of the watch debacle, but i was feeling too good and the weather was too nice. these are the moments that you just have to grab at as a runner. put in more miles when you are feeling great so that you may put in less when you aren't.

there were quite a few runners out. people i had never seen on the streets before. this is a strange season to pick up this sport.

the motivating thought of the day. the only difference between 'i'm doing it' and 'i did it' is time. the idea here is that nothing will stop me. these four weeks of base training is already done in my mind, time just has to catch up with it. i've already qualified for the olympic trials, time just has to catch up with it. so i will be patient and know that i'm already there.

No comments:

Post a Comment