Wednesday, November 11, 2009

running away

15.25 miles . . .

though i'm not sure about the pace. it felt a lot like other easy runs that i've done. i think that i left my garmin on yesterday after i recorded my track times. for when i turned it on this morning it instantly beeped the low battery warning. it lasted for approximately 3/4 a mile and then turned off. i was left in the dark about pace and distance. but just like the last time this happened, there was again that peace and freedom of simply running for running's sake. what i love about running is the heavy symbolism of escaping from society and all that it holds dear. comfort, warmth, technology, cars, noise, speed, and so much more. it's why i don't like to run with music. it's why i love minimalistic shoes that helps me feel the road. it's why i prefer it to cycling. i know that the garmin goes against this ideology. if there was some way that i could internally measure pace and distance i would never run with it.

i ran through three distinct weather systems. the first was a dense, low hanging fog, dampening the sounds. most of which didn't exist because there was no school today. places that are normally traffic hubs, kids standing, walking, kissing and hugging parents goodbye, stood as ghost towns. the second happened when the fog lifted up to the sky. a bleak ceiling of unending white towered over me. no sun. no distinction between the clouds. the third happened as the clouds suddenly burst bringing a light and steady rain through the rest of the run.

i took a couple of shot blocks with me during the run and ate them at about mile 8. they were great for my energy level but actually really hard to chew. they taste better but those gels go down easier, so i think i'll stick with them while i'm running.

no problems really other than a general weariness that spread over me during the last couple of miles. but even this wasn't overly annoying.

in other news . . . i went in for my consulting appointment for my s.n.s. i asked him about running afterwards. he said that i should be good to do it three to four days after but with less intensity and less distance than typical. i'm thinking i still may take the whole week off for the sake of recovery. but a week seems like a long time. maybe just some really easy stuff?

tried the chocolate milk thing again this morning after my run. and again i felt more alive, more energetic, more myself. this could either be placebo, my body finally accustomed to this new level of training, or the fact that i got seven hours of sleep last night in a row. either way, there are no complaints here.

1 comment:

  1. Hey Rocky Wing,

    Thanks for your comment on my blog and glad to hear you're training for Eugene too. I like that race a lot and am looking forward to it. I think it's great that you're trying to qualify for the trials though I believe the men's standard is harder to achieve than the women's. Regardless, when I first set my sites on it, my PR was 3:15. Two years later, I only have 26 seconds to shave off. Keep working hard!

    Effin J

    ReplyDelete